Google

WELCOME

WELCOME TO A BLOG FOR READERS, WRITERS and ARTISTS OF ALL KINDS

Wednesday, January 30, 2008

trini gay culture

If there was one thing about my beloved country that I would like to change would be the way homosexuality is viewed. it is still seen and portrayed as taboo. however, from my own personal

experience I can tell that the gay community is reasonably large and fast growing. There is a fear in trini that being gay will have negative consequences such as violence, disownment from

family members, loss of job since it is seen as unacceptable, and even being expelled from certain denominational school and or colleges, particularly christian based institutions, where this

behaviour is considered t0 be ungodly and means for condemnation. One example of an institution where homosexuality is not acceptable is the University of the Southern Caribbean, formerly Caribbean Union College.

The intolerance is even seen in some class lectures where particular members of staff refuse to allow students to even write a thesis on this real adolescent issue, suggesting that this is a topic that has no morals and values.
This is funny because the number of gay and bi students at the institution is surprising.

It is MIND BOGGLING the homosexuality is still Illegal in the land of Trinidad and Tobago. I wonder what is the sentence/charge for having a thought? Does it matter whether I think about a man or a woman in a sexual way? apparently it does.


I wish that trini gays could have peaceful prides and other fetes without having to be so secretive, keeping everything low profile out of fear. The gay clubs in trini are so secluded that its uncomfortable to be there. why can not a man hold a man's hand in public and not be ashamed or afraid of the immature snickers and sneers.

why do we have to mind other people's business more than we mind our own?

The one thing I love about my girlfriend is that she is a strong black woman who really does not care about the backward and uninformed views of others and proudly holds my hand and makes it known that she is proud to have me by her side.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

hmm, look said girlfirend has popped up yet again. Something tells me I am far hotter than she is.

Anonymous said...

Well, I am a Seventh-Day Adventist young fella, and I have same-sex attractions. I have not been around the University of the Southern Caribbean/ Caribbean Union College too much lately, so I cannot say I know of the presence of many gay or bisexual students there.
Of course they exist everywhere. USC/CUC would be no exception.

You must live in some sort of utopia in your head. Have you been to places like San Fransisco for any length of time?

What you want is unrealistic even in large parts of almost all developed countries. Public hand-holding?

Another thing is:

Being a SDA institution, what do you expect? They must balance their strong beliefs with modern ones and they have the right to set campus codes of conduct.
I do agree that the professors should not be afraid of the topic though.

I have never been to gay parties, but I think you exaggerate the safety factor--especially in 2008.
Clearly these parties must be discreet, but I think the promoters over think the safety aspect too much.
Trinidad is a relatively safe Caribbean island for people with same-sex attractions--active or not.

Come visit my blog:

http://trinidadsdagay.blogspot.com

Take care. I hope to contact you soon. Keep posting too!